Sunday, June 17, 2012

Diagnostic Testing

Yesterday and today, we have been diagnostic testing all of the students at Akin Elementary for reading. First, we complete a test called the San Diego Quick, where we have them read a list of 10 words at a time. Each list of words is a different grade level, but we always start the student at the pre-kinder level. Once they miss three or more words on the list, we stop. The list they stopped on is their "quick" assessment of their reading level. I was really excited to start testing the students because we actually got to interact with them for the first time! And oh my gosh, they were sooo adorable! One little girl, McKaylan, is such a sweetie pie. Her hair was all done up in about 7 different ponytail braids fashioned with the plastic hair tie balls. I just wanted to put her in my pocket and take her home with me. I asked her what her favorite thing to do was and she says, "to read!" (but in the cutest country accent ever). When I told McKaylan that I was going to have her do her very best and read me these words, she replies: "yes, m'am". My heart absolutely melted. And her love of reading showed! She is entering first grade (so will be in Kindergarden this summer) and she was at a second grade reading level! I was so impressed. 

My next student's name was Jordan, he had this cute buzzed mohawk haircut, and looked so annoyed to be at school. He was super shy, but didn't give me any problems. As we began to start, I asked him to begin reading the first list of words, but all he did was stare at them. I pointed to the first word, "see". He began to read it, but all he could do was pronounce the phonemes. It was heartbreaking as I watched him just sound out the letters, unable to put them together to form a word. It's astonishing to me that a girl his very age, in the same class is excelling in reading, where he can't even read one word. 

Later that day we were able to meet our Faculty Advisor who will be watching over the class for the summer. She will be giving us feedback and helping out whenever possible. We were given the opportunity to observe a classroom as well. During observation, I had the chance to talk to one of the teachers, and I was not impressed. It's amazing to see teachers who just don't care -- no wonder education is such a problem in this country -- because so many teachers just don't care! There is this little boy name Arlando who can't even write his own name. He can't read or write, and just draws pictures all day. The teacher told me this information, but instead of trying to teach him she just writes his name for him every day. Well, no wonder he can't write his own name! You don't even give him a chance! Ugh, the frustration I felt. Also, the class activity on the board was to look at the pictures and draw the object and write what it was. Instead of Arlando even attempting the activity, the teacher tells me: "And he won't be able to do that so I just have him draw." Ugh! This angered me sooo much! This right here makes me so excited to make a difference in education, because I WILL teach the Arlando's how to read and write, and I WILL teach the Jordan's out there to pronounce more than phonemes. I WILL make a difference! 

No comments:

Post a Comment