Friday, June 8, 2012

I'M HIRED!

Can you imagine my stress when there are only 28 out of 73 corps member who weren't hired yet? Ah, the agony I face as everyone talks about what school they are going to be teaching and how amazing their interviews went. I thought to myself, "hmm..I thought my interviews went great too and they seemed to love me. Why the heck wasn't I getting hired??"


5 local schools came to a hiring fair today. 3 of them in which I was lucky enough to interview with, praying I would get hired. "Today is my day!" I told myself over and over again..debating if I truly believed it. Everyone was supposed to be at the hiring fair at 8:30 am; my first interview was at 9:00. Thinking we left early, my group and I headed over to the LSU Law Center about 5 min away. We parked the car and walked inside to find a creepily empty building. Little did we know, it wasn't at the Law building (that was for tomorrow's meetings) and we were supposed to be at a building 10 miles away. Frantically, I took off my heels and ran to the car. What a way to start my day!


Luckily, we arrived before my first interview, so I had a few minutes to collect my pitch points before I had to sell myself more than ever before. "Today would be my day!" The minute Ms. Taylor saw me walking across the room, she gave me a big smile, and immediately my nerves settled. We hit it off and I just felt comfortable. One thing Ms. Taylor said to me that was really important was that she wanted to work with me and not above me; that we would be partners. My heart lit up the second Ms. Taylor said, "I'm so glad you told me you would feel comfortable teaching second grade, because we have that position available and I would love to offer you the job." Inside, I thought to myself, "HECK YESSSS!! WOOHOO!" And after giving her the biggest smile EVER, I gratefully accepted the position! I was the first to interview, and the first to be hired. Thank goodness! So, I will be the new 2nd grade teacher at Dalton Elementary School. Oh boy!


Now, at last, I can relax!


Later that day my stepmom, Donna, took me to look for apartments and then we went to Acme Oyster House to eat some gumbo and chargrilled oysters! Yummmm!


Chargrilled oysters and Louisiana's local beer, Abita!

That night, my small group and I went to a TFA alum's house for dinner and drinks. Little did I know that he was a middle school science teacher and has the coolest animals in the world! He has snakes, lizards, turtles, a mouse, and best of all, a giant bunny! Look at this thing!


He is also the runt of his kind! 
He is only 12lbs. (generally they are about 25lbs!)








Today was a great day. 
And most importantly, 

I CAN'T WAIT TO BE A SECOND GRADE TEACHER!!





No comments:

Post a Comment